Rumor: Meyer done at OSU after season

A place to discuss Michigan's rivals and happenings around the B1G
Boss
Site Admin

Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:50 pm

I know this has been bouncing around since the Zach Smith story first broke, but it might be gaining momentum.
There’s been rampant speculation about Urban Meyer and his future with the Ohio State football program for much of the 2018 college football season.

Some, like ESPN’s Paul Finebaum, have predicted that Meyer will be done with the Buckeyes following the season. Other reports suggested that Ohio State wanted to name Ryan Day its head coach-in-waiting.

Now, we have one major radio host reporting that multiple sources have told him Meyer will be done following the 2018 season.

FOX Sports 1’s Colin Cowherd is reporting that two sources have told him Meyer will be leaving Ohio State following the year.
https://thespun.com/college-football/co ... yer-report

And the segment itself:

There have now been a handful of outlets reporting this as a possibility. That's an awful lot of smoke for there to be more fire.

I would love to see Ohio State have to deal with some instability for a while--and not the kind that results in hiring one of the most successful coaches in college football history after one season with an interim coach. I want Ohio State wandering through the desert with Tennessee for a decade or so.

runbambam

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:18 am

...Yahoo reports Meyer is stepping down after the Rose Bowl. Day will replace Meyer. I think this is a win for us if Day is named the new HC. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boss
Site Admin

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:31 am

Truly one of those shocking but not surprising situations. Let's hope the spotlight is a little too bright for Ryan Day. That program is due for a walk in the woods. I know people will point to his three games this year as a sign that he's up to the task, but filling in on game day for three weeks with full knowledge that it is a temporary stint is very different from actually running your own program.
runbambam

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:32 am

Exactly! Plus recruiting will be harder at OSU without Meyer’s reputation and resume.

CJ_kickin_mynutsin
Has thanked: 0

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:22 am

Happy to see him leave. He's a shitty human but a great colleges coach that brought me much angst. We might not have bested him, but who cares. Sunny skies ahead.
I think it's time for OSU to have a bit of wilderness walking, like USC post Carroll, Alabama pre Saban, Texas post Mack...(Michigan since 2004)... pretty much everyone.
Boss
Site Admin

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:05 am

The people lamenting his departure because they want Michigan or Harbaugh to beat him before he goes are insane. He's a shitty person, but no one can question his ability to lead a college football program. And what other program fires its coach after he is caught repeatedly lying to the NCAA, takes a one-year sabbatical with an interim coach, and then brings in a generational coach with two national championship rings who just happens to be sitting there without a gig? They are so overdue.

I couldn't be happier about the Meyer era ending, and I'm glad Day has to come to the Big House for his first shot at Michigan. Let's start his career off with a losing record in this rivalry. Anyone who thinks a guy with zero real head coaching experience is just going to immediately fill the shoes of Urban Meyer is nuts.
runbambam

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:43 pm

I can see USC or Florida State making a deal with the devil for Meyer in 2020.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/280 ... e-his-last